Amazon Kindle Store
Amazon is the largest online bookstore in the world. It has its own eBook format (.mobi) and a dedicated eReader. Books distributed by Amazon are also available via their app (iOS, Android, Windows) and website. The Kindle eReader is the most popular reading device with 41% of market share (2015).
Outside the EEA, Amazon works with a wholesale model, so you will earn 40% of the list price. Inside the EEA, it works with an agency model, so will you earn 60% of the list price (in this case, equal to the cover price).
As of January 15, 2018, Amazon has updated the conditions for indie publishers (individuals publishing books, etc.) as detailed in Annex 4 of our distribution agreement.
Amazon also has a subscription service which gives readers unlimited access to an entire catalog for a fixed monthly fee. Some of our catalog’s books are distributed on Kindle Unlimited, having been selected by Amazon.
Here are the Kindle countries and territories as of October 2016:
- US Kindle store: USA and selected other countries with surcharges*
- UK Kindle Store: United Kingdom (including England, Scotland, Wales, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Ireland, Gibraltar, and Jersey)
- DE Kindle Store: Austria, Germany, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, and Switzerland
- FR Kindle Store: France, Monaco, Belgium, Switzerland, and Luxembourg
- ES Kindle Store: Andorra, Spain
- IT Kindle Store: Italy, San Marino, Vatican City, and Switzerland
- JP Kindle Store: Japan
- NL Kindle Store: Netherlands
- BR Kindle Store: Brazil
- MX Kindle Store: Mexico
- CA Kindle Store: Canada
- IN Kindle Store: India
- AU Kindle Store: Australia and New Zealand
- CN Kindle Store: China (restricted access)
* In some countries, Amazon may add a surcharge to the book’s street price.